Best Breakfast Foods for an Aspiring Entrepreneur

you are what you eat

With Thanksgiving right around the corner the obsession with food comes into full effect. Tis’ the season to throw away self-control and indulge in the treats you deny yourself the rest of the year. However, as businesspeople, we are genetically programmed to be on the move no matter what time of year it is. Food can have an important impact on the productivity of your day. Here’s some “food for thought”; some great choices for food for brain power, energy, motivation, and timing throughout the day.

Breakfast

You may have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s true! Your breakfast will determine the way the rest of your day goes. If eaten correctly it will keep you full until lunch while still feeling light and energetic to handle the slew of meetings you’re bound to facilitate. A selling point for entrepreneurs is a quick and easy choice that allows you to grab and go while still feeling full and awake.

Quick and Easy Breakfast Brain Foods:

Eggs

Eggs are a great source of protein which in turn helps your overall cognitive performance as well as aiding in helping you remember things more clearly. If thrown in the microwave for a minute you have a quick and easy breakfast that will fill you up but will also keep you alert and ready to tackle your day.

Yogurt (Greek)

The beauty of yogurt is the fact that it’s prepackaged for your convenience and can be grabbed on your way out of the door or kept at work for easy consumption. Greek yogurt is twice the protein, half the carbs and half the sodium of regular yogurt meaning you won’t feel bloated or groggy throughout the day and you’ll remain full until lunch-time. They also carry pre-packed yogurt parfaits that have granola and fruit in it which takes away unnecessary steps in the morning.

Fruit

Fruit is the easiest grab and go there is. Most fruit is naturally pre-packaged for an on-the-run breakfast or snack food that can satisfy a sweet tooth while still remaining healthy. It has natural sugar without eating something processed that will leave you sleepy and weighed down. Fruit is also an easy way to gain your day’s vitamins in one single meal. They contain fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and folic acid as well as prevent many cancers and cardiovascular diseases. If the portion size doesn’t fill you up, add some yogurt or an egg along with the fruit to keep you full.

Bars (Protein, Granola, etc.)

Granola bars or protein bars carry the nutrients you need for a healthy and filling breakfast in an easy package that you can even leave at work if you rush out the door. Kind bars, Annie’s granola bars, Larabars, and Health Warrior all carry healthy grab and go options that will prevent sugar crashes while keeping you satisfied throughout the day.

If you’re on the go

Maybe you like your routine of stopping by Starbucks (I do!) or Dunkin Donuts every day on your way to the office (I have to admit, I am a 90/10 foodie, which means that I eat right 90% of the time but allow myself to eat some tasty donuts, cookies, etc… the other 10% of the time), or maybe you’re never home so you know any and all food you buy will go bad before you get a chance to eat it. Either way there are ways to eat out but stay alert and awake instead of in a sugar coma about to pass out at your desk. Starbucks offers healthy sandwiches and protein boxes. Donuts or other similar treats are full of sugar as well as calories and will make you crash before lunch time. Dunkin Donuts always has fresh fruit as well as healthy menu items to choose from. It’s true the healthier the options the more alert and focused you’ll stay throughout the day. This is important for an entrepreneur! We need to always be on-the-go and can’t afford to feel drowsy or lazy because of the food we are eating.

Tips
  • If you drink coffee regularly, try drinking it black or mostly black. Adding lots of sugar can make you crash.
  • If you have a large meal or you order a large meal try to only eat half and save the rest for later.
  • If you keep snacks by your desk, try and keep hummus or a hard boiled egg. These snacks increase mental health and brain function.
  • Try and prepare what you can the night before so you don’t have to add extra minutes to your morning routine.

 

Sources:
http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/11-best-foods-your-brain/slide/5
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-greek-yogurt-vs-regular-yogurt-6187.html
http://www.healthyeating.org/Healthy-Eating/All-Star-Foods/Fruits.aspx
http://greatist.com/eat/best-granola-bars